Mix Gases Without Marring Your Cylinders
Our cylinder inverter won’t mar your cylinders like traditional rollers. The cylinder labels stay intact, maintaining quality and safety.
An accepted method ready for change
In the industrial and specialty gas industry, the accepted method for ensuring a homogeneous mixture with mixed gas cylinders is to place them on a mechanical roller in the upright position and rotate them into a horizontal position. The cylinder is then agitated with a spinning action that is reversed periodically during the mixing process.
While this method has been effective for achieving a homogeneous mixture in a relatively short period of time (approximately 15 minutes) it has lead to several problems, including deterioration in the appearance of the cylinder and additional costs associated with painting and replacement of damaged labels. Cylinders must also be taken out of service for this process, decreasing available inventory.
Cylinder rolling is also an issue with aluminum cylinders (used in specialty applications) because appearance and contamination are a significant risk.
A solution for the industry inverter issues
Our six-cylinder platform system allows cylinders to be repeatedly inverted while holding them in a fixed position. The cylinder is placed in an upright position and rests on a hard plastic pad in a V shaped holder with a padded adjustable stop that rests against the cylinder cap. This prevents the cylinder from sliding in the holder when it’s being inverted. An air piston is used to invert the cylinder preventing it from being marked by the typical roller bands and eliminating the tearing or marring of the label.
Features & Benefits
- Used for mixing gas mixtures after filling to ensure a homogeneous mixture for the industrial and specialty gas industry
- Will not scuff up your cylinders like traditional rollers. Cylinder labels stay intact, maintaining quality and safety.
- 3 or 6 cylinders models available
- Cylinder type range from 80 to 300 CU FT
- Cylinder diameter range up to 12”
- Booklet available on certification of gas mixtures using inversion technique
- Pneumatically controlled model available for rated areas
- Ramp creates an easier loading and unloading condition
- Each unit is shipped fully assembled and comes pre-tested
- Made in the USA
Theory of Operation
Several component gas mixtures are still a heterogeneous mixture after filling thus requiring additional mixing to become a homogenous mixture. The cylinders with the heterogeneous mixture are placed on the inverting frame and repeatedly inverted. This process causes the molecules to mix within the cylinder due to the different molecule sizes and densities and the effect of gravity on those molecules. The inverting process is repeated until a homogenous mixture is achieved, which is determined through analysis.
Precision’s Automated Inverters have an operator touchscreen interface with PLC for full automatic control of the entire mixing process. This model comes standard with a light beam activated perimeter safety barrier to help prevent accidental injuries.
Easy as 1, 2, 3
- Select the desired number of Cycles and the Index Time Setpoint (the duration of time, in seconds, that the inverter will hold in the inverted or home position before continuing the cycle).
- Press the Start button (you can leave it to run on it’s own). A green light is on during normal operation.
- Once the Cycle Setpoint is achieved, an audible alarm is heard and the green light is turned off. The system remains energized in the home position for unloading and reloading of cylinders.
A typical session runs between 15-40 minutes depending on the blend density ratio.
Features & Benefits
- 120 Volt AC 5 Amp service
- Comes with light tower and an alarm to alert the operator:
- – Which stage the system is in, including completion
- – If the Emergency Stop button has been engaged
- – If there is an issue with the safety barrier
- – If there is pneumatic pressure in the system below 75 psi.
Pneumatic Controlled Models (for Rated Areas)
Precision’s Pneumatic Controlled Inverter operation allow for the adjustment of inverting travel time, inverted and home position hold time, and setting of the predetermined number of cycles to invert before automatically stopping in the home position.
Features & Benefits
- Home/Run SelectorToggle switch that allows pilot air to flow to the system controls, allowing the actuation of the inverting frame. Home holds the inverting frame in the home position. Run allows the system to continuously invert.
- Predetermined Pneumatic CounterCounts the number of cycles that have been completed and sends an output signal to stop the inverter in the home position once the preset number of cycles have been achieved.
- Emergency Stop ButtonsPush button that turns off airflow to the system and vents the line pressure in the system. If the Emergency Stop is engaged, the system will depressurize all controls (The inverting frame will slowly return to a balanced pivot point.)